"Known" DLLs

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Feb 16 12:34:37 CST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 16. Februar 2012, 18:45:37 schrieb Adam Kłobukowski:
> Therefore, it could be usefull
> if Wine would be able to detect when a program tries to use a DLL that
> is not implememnted, but is easily available for download. .NET, MSXML,
> VCRUN* comes in mind. Instead of just failing, Wine could offer advice
> to the user how to deal with that.
>
> This could also help with APIs that are mostly stubbed, work for some
> use cases, but are expected to fail in other - they could detect if an
> app is trying to use unsuported case and take action.
Well, if a DLL is outright missing you should get an ERR. If the app calls a
stub, the stub writes a FIXME. I'm not sure what else we can do - showing up a
dialog box in those cases is a bad idea. Or do you mean make the messages more
informative, like write "you may want to install the Visual Basic 6 runtime
from http://microsoft.com/foo/bar" instead of something like "could not load
msvb60.dll"?

Arguably the worst situation is when the app loads a library at runtime
instead of linking and thus doesn't cause linker errors, or if it attempts to
load a OLE class and users misinterpret the err:ole:XXXX error as an OLE issue
rather than a missing library.

Overall I'd prefer to maintain such information in the documentation or wiki
instead of the code.