"Known" DLLs

Adam Kłobukowski adamklobukowski at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 12:41:47 CST 2012

W dniu 16.02.2012 19:34, Stefan Dösinger pisze:
> Am Donnerstag, 16. Februar 2012, 18:45:37 schrieb Adam Kłobukowski:
>> Therefore, it could be usefull
>> if Wine would be able to detect when a program tries to use a DLL that
>> is not implememnted, but is easily available for download. .NET, MSXML,
>> VCRUN* comes in mind. Instead of just failing, Wine could offer advice
>> to the user how to deal with that.
>>
>> This could also help with APIs that are mostly stubbed, work for some
>> use cases, but are expected to fail in other - they could detect if an
>> app is trying to use unsuported case and take action.
> Well, if a DLL is outright missing you should get an ERR. If the app calls a
> stub, the stub writes a FIXME. I'm not sure what else we can do - showing up a
> dialog box in those cases is a bad idea. Or do you mean make the messages more
> informative, like write "you may want to install the Visual Basic 6 runtime
> from http://microsoft.com/foo/bar" instead of something like "could not load
> msvb60.dll"?

While Wine log might be enough for me, for less tech savvy users it is a
mistery, and in most cases they do not even know it exists. Log message
seems an easy solution, but a dialog box might be much better for a
'customer base' of such feature. Such dialog should be shown only once
per program run,

In some cases (.NET?) such deature could even offer an auto-fix (using
winetricks?).

> Arguably the worst situation is when the app loads a library at runtime
> instead of linking and thus doesn't cause linker errors, or if it attempts to
> load a OLE class and users misinterpret the err:ole:XXXX error as an OLE issue
> rather than a missing library.

Still, apps loads some DLL, ant this can be intercepted. I do not know
enough about how OLE works, but maybe a sister 'Known OLE keys' feature
might me usefull too :)

> Overall I'd prefer to maintain such information in the documentation or wiki
> instead of the code.

This could be handled by some kind of configuration (xml?) file.

AdamK