"Known" DLLs

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 02:20:25 CST 2012

2012/2/16 Adam Kłobukowski <adamklobukowski at gmail.com>:
> Hello
>
> I've been a Wine user for a long time alreadey, since all Wine could do was
> running winesweper very slowly ;)
>
> I'd like to propose a feature that could be implemented in Wine.
>
> Wine does not implement all Windows APIs (yet ;)) and big parts of existing
> implementations are only stubs. Therefore, it could be usefull if Wine would
> be able to detect when a program tries to use a DLL that is not
> implememnted, but is easily available for download. .NET, MSXML, VCRUN*
> comes in mind. Instead of just failing, Wine could offer advice to the user
> how to deal with that.
>
> This could also help with APIs that are mostly stubbed, work for some use
> cases, but are expected to fail in other - they could detect if an app is
> trying to use unsuported case and take action.

Problem is that some applications work even when some DLLs are mostly
stubbed, and would fail when setting stuff to native/winetricksing,
while other might do the opposite.
Worse, even the same app/same version would need different workarounds...

I really don't think we want to replicate the appdb in the code...

Frédéric