po: fixed remaining Slovenian true positives in the winepo error report

Jaka Kranjc smgl at lynxlynx.info
Wed Feb 22 11:53:44 CST 2012

On Wednesday 22 of February 2012 18:16:20 Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > You mean that all the 'not translated' strings are actually translated
> > > and just happen to be the same as in English, right? I can add them.
> >
> > Exactly.
>
> Done.
Great.

I also swapped wine-patches with wine-devel to keep the noise down.

> So in English you'd end up with something like this:
>
>    Error; Paper jam;
> or
>    Initialising; Default Printer; I/O Active;
>

> So what you're saying is that:
>  * There is no systematic conversion of semicolons to commas in
>    Slovenian.
>  * In Slovenian the strings above should definitely use a comma
>    because it's used as a list separator.
>  * The English string should maybe use a comma too? This may require
>    some supporting arguments...
So if I understand correctly, parts of this composite get choped and
concatenated and then printed as a sequence. Lacking full sentences,
semicolons *are* a good choice for Slovenian in this case too. Commas would be
fitting for proper "etc" lists.

This brings up another can of worms though; capitalisation. We don't use title
case at all, so these translation have the wrong case. Well, except for the
first one being printed, but that is runtime knowledge, so we can't really fix
it well. Gettext has no provisions for this (or gender or ...), so all that
comes to mind is autocapitalisation depending on the locale, but that is
probably ugly and I doubt it would work with more exotic scripts (but not sure
if any would need it).

> > So no, in general we do not substitute semicolons, but it depends on the
> > original msgid context. Most translators are serious grammar nazis, so
> > they/we tend to ignore mistakes in the original string.
>
> Don't!
>
> At least for Wine any issue in the English string should be fixed or
> reported so it can be fixed as early as possible (preferably before it
> has been translated into 20 other languages). Of course I'm saying that
> but being in string freeze we would not be able to fix strings right
> now. But if I saw such reports on wine-devel I'd make sure they are
> acted upon after the release.
Oh, I know, didn't mean to suggest inaction. But in a lot of cases, it comes
down to preference, style or language perception. Plus the fact that
inspecting the original's validity almost always requires the ability to read
code, which most translators lack and which is hard to access if they work via
online translation tools.

Re usage strings: is there no 80 column limit imposed? I saw even some
original strings were longer.

LP
--
To err is humor