Web based translation tool

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 04:43:34 CST 2012

Hi,
I just read:
http://www.winehq.org/news/2012022001
and then
http://wiki.winehq.org/Translating
especially:
> The Wine project would be very interested in making its PO files available on web-based community translations systems such as Pootle or Launchpad. Our hope is that this would make translating Wine even easier and engage new translators.
>
> The reason why it has not happened yet is that all Wine contributions, including for translations, must be attributable to a specific author and that these tools don't make that possible yet. For more details see the wine-devel discussion here and here. Any contributions that would solve this issue would be very welcome.

which refer:
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2012-January/093908.html

I would like to point you to:
https://www.transifex.net/
which can do the tracking.

Latest version is probably not what you want, because it just add at the
top of the file:
# Translators:
# Martin Minar <skulliq at gmail.com>, 2011.
# Milan Kerslager <kerslage at linux.cz>, 2002, 2007.
# Miloslav Trmac <mitr at volny.cz>, 2002.
# Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com>, 2011.
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: Spacewalk\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2011-12-21 13:07+0100\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2011-12-14 09:21+0000\n"
"Last-Translator: Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com>\n"
"Language-Team: Czech
(http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora/team/cs/)\n

So you had overview of contributors, but you could not tell which one
contributor done which string.

But version 0.7 (IIRC) sent each contribution immediately to git. Under
login (and email) of that contributor. That contributor was "Author" and
commiter was some transifex user. So this way you allow git commit
access to those contributors directly to git, but since it goes via that
web interface, they could commit only to /po/ directory and even only to
language, for which they had been granted.

You can download it here:
http://trac.transifex.org/files/
and setup your own instance.

If is sufficient for you only tracking name of contributors, you can use
that hosted solution at: https://www.transifex.net/

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering