po: zh_TW translation updates

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 17:12:19 CST 2012

--- On Mon, 27/2/12, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, Hin-Tak Leung
> wrote:
> [...]
> > - some of the changes are over-eager: i.e. it
> "improves" on windows
> > and tried to be more user-friendly, but not exactly how
> windows does
> > it.
> >
> > I think there should be a notes on the translation FAQ:
> one is not
> > looking to be "better than" windows, but
> bug-for-bug-compatible.
> > Therefore translation is preferably what
> regional/localized windows
> > (whatever version) does.
> >
> > 20% of the world's population is Chinese, I am sure it
> is easy enough
> > to do a few screenshots of localized windows (be in
> traditional or
> > simplied) and show how those behave.
> >
> > There is a definitive answer (or "definition answers")
> to most of
> > these translation strings: what localized windows (some
> version) does.
> > It is not up to individual or group opinions, really. I
> mean, public
> > libraries, etc have windows in the far east, there is
> no excuse to be
> > wrong, or on the opposite extreme, "try to improve on
> windows", even
> > if one does not want to get one's hand dirty and own a
> windows box.
>
> The dialog labels and error messages are an area where we
> don't need to
> and don't want to be word for word identical to Windows.
>
> We should definitely follow the Windows User Experience
> Interaction
> Guidelines:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511258.aspx
>
> The Windows GUI is certainly be a valuable resource to
> determine which
> terms the users are going to be familiar with (e.g. will
> they more
> readily understand 'directory' or 'folder'). That said Wine
> runs on
> Linux and Mac OS X so Wine's users will likely be somewhat
> accustomed to
> the terms used by these platforms too.
>
> But in any case blindly copying all the strings from the
> Windows GUI
> would be a very bad idea.

but wine is supposed to be bug-for-bug compatible with windows, (just as a joke, or not), surely that includes poor user experience? :-).

that aside, I think you are quite wrong in trying to "improve user experience". That's a matter of opinion - and unfortunately, I have already pointed out, some of the changes are just opinions, and therefore subject to churns - i.e. some will disagree and want the older version of a translation of a particular phrase back, etc.