Rethinking WineConf

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Tue Jan 10 16:58:06 CST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:

> Another angle on this might be making some changes to WineConf, but
> also making a concerted effort to make sure Wine is well represented
> at events many developers and users already attend such as FOSDEM and
> OSCON.

In that regard, let me say: this year I am coorganizing the
CrossDesktop DevRoom at FOSDEM and I am truly disappointed we have not
received a single talk proposal about Wine, even though I sent the
call for talks and a reminder to this list.

With my open source developer hat on, an introductory talk on Wine
development would be very appealing to me.

Also, a talk (or maybe more than one) for third-party ISVs which want
to make sure their applications work with Wine would also be nice.

At work we seriously considered Wine for a big product which uses
embedded virtualization that could probably be replaced with Wine, but
we didn't really have a clue where to get started or what we could
achieve in 1 year if we put a few people to hack on Wine. Expectations
were so unclear management was not in the mood to throw a few
thousands to hire CodeWeavers or any Wine hacker in Europe for a
preliminary study.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org