Getting Wine's PO files on Launchpad

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Jan 20 11:36:17 CST 2012

I've had a discussion about getting Wine's PO files online with Andrej
Znidarsic and thought it would be interesting to share it here (with his
permission):

Andrej Znidarsic wrote:

> I have just discussed some details about how translations in Launchpad
> work. Basically there is no direct traceability on the commit level,
> since each export is done by launchpad not individual translators.
> Exports generally look like this -
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvo/ddtp-ubuntu/ddtp-pot-precise/changes
>
> However on Launchpad it's possible to see which strings were
> translated by which translator (an example is here -
> https://translations.launchpad.net/stk/trunk/+pots/supertuxkart/sl/+filter?person=dmen)
> and if "translator credits" string exists in the .pot file, names of
> all launchpad contributors are automatically exported and are
> displayed in "About" window as can be seen here -
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1450316/gbrainy.png (first name is from Gnome
> upstream and the rest are Launchpad contributors). Names of all
> Launchpad contributors are also listed on the package case (you can
> see an example here -
> https://translations.launchpad.net/stk/trunk/+pots/supertuxkart/sl/+translate)
>
> If that is good enough then Launchpad is in my opinion a very
> attractive solution as community of translators is already quite
> large. I also discussed this on #ubuntu-translators and people are
> generally quite interested in having wine available in Launchpad and
> would very likely contribute to wine translations if they were
> available. They would also be willing to help setting up the import
> and export, so let me know if you (as a wine developer community) are
> interested in it.

>From what I took out of WineConf, the problem with that is that we need
to be able to trace every Wine commit to a specific person. So tracing
it to something like 'Launchpad French Translation Team' would not be
good enough. I thought there was a Launchpad API that we could use to
remotely access the Launchpad data and build our patches ourselves but
apparently that's not the case:

Andrej Znidarsic wrote:
> As far as i know there is no such API available (yet). You can only
> review who is responsible for what in package details (example for
> supertuxkart game and Slovenian language can be seen here -
> https://translations.launchpad.net/stk/trunk/+pots/supertuxkart/sl/+details).

Does anyone know if progress or new insight has been gained on this?
(or on integrating Wine with other online translation systems)

 "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on
       ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" -- Linus Torvalds