"Sound" keyword on bugzilla

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 22:29:17 CST 2012

On 21 January 2012 03:48, Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> IMHO, it should be an additional component sound-general, or sound-unknown,
> or better yet "unknown-sound". There are many areas like that, that require
> investigation by a person with knowledge of said area to properly set
> component.

Yes, but I'd argue we don't really need anything more specific than
those general / unknown components. For something the size of the
kernel having more specific components probably makes sense, but
realistically, if a specific area in Wine has more than 2-3 persons
working on it it's considered large. Taking D3D as an example, much as
I'd perhaps like to, if I put in the effort of downloading a demo,
reproducing the bug, looking through the log etc., I'm not going to
set a more specific component and abandon the bug thinking "Oh well,
someone else's problem." if I find out the problem is in ddraw instead
of core wined3d. When that kind of thing happens at all, it's usually
because of not having the hardware or software required to reproduce
the bug.

Note however that even with coarse components like that you still
won't necessarily be able to tell from the description alone if e.g.
an application freezing with a black screen happens because of a bug
in d3d, some x11drv issue, a networking problem or wineserver getting
stuck in a loop, etc. Personally, it doesn't bother me that much if
someone makes a plausible guess in cases like that, essentially just
asking someone more familiar with that kind of problem to take a look.

> To begin with I propose to create following components:
> unknown-browser
> unknown-core
> unknown-d3d
> unknown-gui
> unknown-input
> unknown-printing
> unknown-sound

In case of "unknown-d3d" at least, that would really just be renaming
the current directx-d3d component. There used to be a directx-ddraw
component as well, but we merged it with directx-d3d because it really
didn't add anything useful.