Policy for the Wiki?

Kyle Auble randomidman48 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 16:16:03 CDT 2012

Hello all,

    I've been working on the wiki recently and noticed that a lot of out-of-date or redundant information is retained. For example, completed tasks on to-do lists are checked off and never removed. Isthere an unofficial policy of not deleting info, even if it may exist elsewhere (in the git repo history, wikipage revision history, etc)? Other instances might be stubs dedicated to features in development years ago, or pages on bugs that have already been fixed or triaged in Bugzilla.I know even page deletions can still be reverted, but I wanted to check first before cleaning things out more aggressively. If there are a few unwritten rules everyone likes the wiki to follow, I could add them somewhere as editing guidelines.

    While the topic's up, I was also wondering how moinmoin was chosen as the wiki engine. I couldn't really find a discussion on the mailing lists so I figured it was the best option when the wiki was first started. I can appreciate that it doesn't require a database and it's written in python instead of php. Allowing only inline CSS in tables causes some headaches, but mainly it can be really slow sometimes, especially when editing, and unless using wikilinks or going directly to a page, navigation is tricky. Has the possibility of migrating the wiki to a different engine ever come up? Or does the Wine wiki code just need some tweaking and maybe some tools? To be honest, I don't know if there is a better alternative (MediaWiki is designed for a very different use case and has really messy code). It just seems like something is discouraging even basic upkeep on the wiki, which kind of defeats its whole purpose.
-Kyle