Query MediaType of SD-Cards using IOCTL_GET_DISK_DRIVE_GEOMETRY

GOUJON Alexandre ale.goujon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:31:39 CDT 2012

On 07/21/2012 12:34 PM, Eduard Hasenleithner wrote:
> All the code in dlls/kernel32/volume.c seems to be build around
> evaluating the symlinks present in .wine/dosdevices. Is there already
> a design document which describes how the interaction with mountmgr
> should look like in future? Will the dosdevices directory be removed?
>
> Eduard
According to AJ, using symlink to check if a volume exists, is not a
good idea as it's not reliable.
So we have to get the info from the mountmgr.
As its name implies, its job is to manage devices, so it's fairly
logical to ask it.

I don't think a design document exists but if I missed it.
And clearly, making documentation is not funniest part of a project.
But if you want to know what are the plans, ask AJ, he's the only one
that can decide what to do.

If you look at mountmgr.c in dlls/mountmgr.sys/, there are calls to
IoCreateSymbolicLink and IoDeleteSymbolicLink so symbolic links are used
internally. If you remove dosdevices (can be a good idea considering
some filesystems don't support symbolic links), you have to store the
info elsewhere, in the registry ? in a file ?

AJ ? Any thoughts ?