Rethinking WineConf

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jul 26 07:54:19 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:
> In that regard, let me say: this year I am coorganizing the
> CrossDesktop DevRoom at FOSDEM and I am truly disappointed we have not
> received a single talk proposal about Wine, even though I sent the
> call for talks and a reminder to this list.

I didn't see that post, and I can't find it in gmail, nor in
http://marc.info/?a=110678333400002&r=1&w=2

> With my open source developer hat on, an introductory talk on Wine
> development would be very appealing to me.
>
> Also, a talk (or maybe more than one) for third-party ISVs which want
> to make sure their applications work with Wine would also be nice.
>
> At work we seriously considered Wine for a big product which uses
> embedded virtualization that could probably be replaced with Wine, but
> we didn't really have a clue where to get started or what we could
> achieve in 1 year if we put a few people to hack on Wine. Expectations
> were so unclear management was not in the mood to throw a few
> thousands to hire CodeWeavers or any Wine hacker in Europe for a
> preliminary study.

I've been involved in several efforts to use wine in commercial products,
I might be able to put something together.
At the very least, I should update http://kegel.com/wine/isv/ a bit more.
- Dan