"Complimentary" msvcrt?

Ilya Konstantinov future at shiny.co.il
Tue Jul 31 15:21:36 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Winelib is there to:
>> 1) provide Windows headers, to keep those DWORDs etc. defined
>
> Yes, but so does MSVC.

MSVC as in Microsoft Visual C++? It only provides a C/C++ runtime. The
headers come
from the Platform SDK. In any case, here Winelib provides them,
probably slightly altered
so they'd built better on gcc.

>> 2) implement Windows APIs in terms of Linux as much as possible -- to keep those
>> CreateFileWs going, to avoid changing every single 'Sleep' to 'sleep'
>> "just because".
>
> Winelib doesn't do that. It uses the same implementation of the
> Windows API that is in Wine.

Sleep and CreateFileW are Windows APIs. I want them implemented
for my C code to link to. Internally, they call into libc or Linux syscalls.
How is Winelib not what I want?

> Perhaps the io-layer aka libwapi library in Mono is closer to what you
> describe, but that is very limited and only intended for internal use
> in Mono.

Interesting. I'll check it out to see what they've been up to.