Mono?!?

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 20:45:39 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Max TenEyck Woodbury
<max at mtew.isa-geek.net> wrote:
> Microsoft does NOT
> like the competition and has pulled stunts like their end-run to MosAid to
> get around binding promises.

Actually, I went to the MonoSpace conference last year, and guess
where it was hosted: the MICROSOFT Nerd Center in Boston. There were
also Microsoft employees in attendance, including the lead developer
of the F# compiler, which by the way is a Microsoft technology that is
free software and that actively tries to maintain compatibility with
Mono.

So, if Microsoft is unhappy about Mono as competition, they have a
strange way of showing it.

> Relying on ANY legal pronouncement by
> Microsoft is even worse than relying on their technical pronouncements.

I like how Wine is apparently OK in this regard, since Microsoft has
made (to my knowledge) no statements regarding patents that they might
control that would apply to Wine.

If they promised not to sue us, then we'd really need to be worried.