Wine in Humble Indie Bundle

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at
Sun Jun 3 19:16:51 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at> wrote:

> Berillions wrote:
> > the other petition does have a point about Wine not doing as well with
> > sound as it should.
> Yes, there are some issues.
> For the record, here are a couple links to people talking about their
> problems with the game:
> ( from
> )
> Several people are trying to run it without proper graphics drivers,
> and seeing crashes like the following; maybe Wine should
> blacklist graphics drivers that can't handle common games?
> Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0xffffffff in 32-bit
> code (0x7ca26b9b).
> Backtrace:
> =>0 0x7ca26b9b in (+0x195b9b) (0x00000000)
>  23 0x7e52ff27 Direct3DCreate9+0x66() in d3d9 (0x0033fa1c)
This comes up in one form or the other very often, though, doesn't it?
Company x releases software y with a Wine wrapper advertising "native linux
support" and users get upset. Personally, I'm glad they're thinking about
Linux and I think Wine fills a great role as a "transitional" step between
Windows and Linux, but I don't think it's any good to encourage using Wine
over making the game more portable. Besides, doesn't HIB have some rule
about requiring all games to support Linux natively?

J. Leclanche