Disabling joysticks with registry keys and joy.cpl

Lucas Zawacki lfzawacki at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:07:49 CDT 2012

Hello all,

disabling an specific joystick device is an issue that is raised from
time to time in
this list. I'm planning on implementing it as a registry key like
'DirectInput/Disable controllername'.

However I'd like the ability to disable specific joysticks on Linux,
like the /dev/input/js* version, while keeping the /dev/input/event*
one being enumerated. One option for doing this would be having a
"Disable USB Controller" -> "driver" key with options being: "linux",
"linuxinput", and "all". My only doubt is how would you guys want to
have this option in joy.cpl? I think the correct thing to do would be
to disable it with "all", but my use case includes a user disabling
the repeated joysticks on Linux through the interface and if he's only
able to disable all drivers at once that would be confusing and less
useful.

The bottom line is: can I add platform dependent code in joy.cpl for
this purpose? If that's not an option, do you have some other way to
do through joy.cpl or should it be registry only?

Attached is an example patch of the approach for joystick_linuxinput.c

Cheers,
Lucas