mshtml: Set outgoing pass-by-address variable in an error case case within confirm_safety_load.

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Fri Mar 9 03:17:41 CST 2012

On 03/08/12 21:55, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Jacek Caban wrote:
>>> I noticed we return in this case, without initializing this variable.
>>> Visual inspection indicates we do not seem to access the variable in
>>> this error case, but a) better safe than sorry, and b) GCC 4.8 currently
>>> warns about it.
>> I generally don't think this patch makes things any better (or worse).
>> If we return an error, the caller should not expect this value to be
>> sane. What's the GCC 4.8 warning?
> secmgr.c:230:1: warning: 'policy' may be used uninitialized in this
> function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>
> An alternative to silence this would be initializing policy to some
> default value.  Would that be preferrable?

It's clearly a false positive. If we return an error in
confirm_safety_load, we'll never execute the line from warning. Since
GCC 4.8 is in an early development stage, I don't think we should change
the code to hide its buggy warnings. It would be much better to see it
fixed on GCC side, so GCC bug report would be more appropriate at this
point IMO.

Cheers,
Jacek