Are we the reason Apple isn't helping us?

Ralph Little littlesincanada at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 12:50:58 CDT 2012

Hi,
Well, I'm a general lurker and small contributer in my own way. I'm
looking at one bug and have requested help from wine-devel in the past.
So, in a nutshell, I consider myself an outsider of the general crew.

Therefore, I'm going to be a bit more forthright about my response to
this post.

The Wine developers know nothing about me and my experience. I have
attempted to demonstrate that, although I lack much time, I am prepared
to put some effort into helping where I can in my small way. There are
many like me. In have tried to be cordial and respectful on wine-devel.
In return I have had nothing but courtesy, helpful assistance and
general goodwill in answer.

There is a right way of entering into these things and a wrong way. The
Wine crew, as far as I know, know nothing of this supposed Apple
developer. He has not demonstrated his experience or trustworthyness or
knowledge of the Wine product to any level. Jeremy expects that as a
stranger the Wine team should take his word at face value that he
submitted a needed fix and that it sufficiently corrected the problem
without doing even the *minimum* of effort to convince them. I have read
the bug issue in question, and from the outset, he was disrespectful and
downright combative and dismissive of all of the Wine teams procedures.
Despite that, the responses on the bug tracker from the Wine team where
measured and non-escalatory. A slightly different approach would have
yielded a substantially different result. A humble request for
assistance in knowing the proper channel and aid in getting the change
properly submitted would, I feel, have had a far greater acceptance of
what he was after.

I agree that sometimes the responses on the bug tracker can be curt to
the point of rudeness, but mostly that is down to the impersonal nature
of the medium.

Jeremy obviously thought that the change was important enough that he
should take the time to submit it in the first place. A little bit of
natural humility and expressing a more willing sentiment would have gone
a long way to helping his cause.

Cheers,
Ralph