Are we the reason Apple isn't helping us?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Mar 11 23:26:06 CDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> On 03/11/2012 07:26 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Vitaliy Margolen
>> I guess it comes down to unnecessary roughness.
>
> In what way? Telling a user if you don't comply to _our_ rules in _our_
> place you will be banned is rough?

Yes.  It's understood, I think, so saying it outright is a bit of a
slap in the face.

> You have other ideas how to stop anyone
> from reopening a bug that everyone one from Wine said "please do not
> reopen"? Of course just ignoring this bug won't work, as everyone who active
> on bugzilla will be attempting to close it again.

I would suggest just letting things settle down.

>> Sure, he was out of line, but AJ had already explained
>> things to him.  You could have let the guy get the last word in.
>
> Last time I've checked anyone can still post comments into closed bugs.

Indeed.   There's nothing one can do technically to keep a
determined poster out.

>> It's hard to quantify, but partly as a result of your comment, he seems to
>> be actively telling folks that the Wine community is rude and unpleasant.
>
> One can never stop other people from spreading FUD if they really want to do
> so.

Yes, but by being kind one can reduce the anger level and
make it less likely the person will feel like venting.

>> we might be interested in his friends.   The same idea might
>> apply here.
>
> You think a never ending close-reopen match would have been better? And
> wouldn't have resulted in him being banned for real?

You're assuming he would have continued mud-wrestling.
That's not a given.
- Dan