Instructions for using JACK with with Wine's ALSA output on wiki: reverted twice

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Mon Mar 12 08:18:39 CDT 2012

On 03/12/2012 06:11 AM, Andrew Eikum wrote:
> Vitaliy,
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:15:40AM -0600, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>> That information simply does not belong on Wine wiki. It talks about
>> making Jack work as Alsa sound device. This has nothing to do with
>> Wine in particular. Especially that he posted the link to an
>> external wiki which has most of this information.
>>
>> Let me make it a bit more clear, Wine is huge and it uses lots and
>> lots of system libraries, packages, subsystems, features, and so on.
>> Unless some information directly related to Wine it should not be
>> posted on the Wine wiki. Or we'll end up with a huge collection of
>> generic Linux/OS X/BSD/ARM/etc articles that will rot over time.
>>

> Next time you're going to delete an entire half of a Wiki page that
> someone clearly cares about and maintains (see the edit history),
> please contact that someone first so we can discuss what should be
> done about the information that doesn't belong there.
Sorry, but I'm not going to do that. If you think that some, not Wine
related, information belongs on Wine wiki, you better bring that question
here. We already shot down a lot of attempts to host all sort of junk,
including win API documentation. Which, if anything, more relates to Wine
then how to make one sound device work like another sound device.

> I agree that the Wiki isn't the best place for that code, and I was
> planning on getting around to fixing it. In the meantime, I had linked
> to that code in Bug 29294 and now it's not there for users to find.
> There is no emergency here that could not have been better resolved
> by a discussion over email.
What prevent you from attaching that code to the bug that needs it? And
discussion with whom? That person has no wiki personal page, nor was he
using a known nik associated with an e-mail.

> The fact that you've been specifically called out in two threads in
> one weekend might be a hint that it is _your_ behavior that is
> inappropriate.
I've been called out in more then two threads, that doesn't bother me. That
just an indication that no one else wants to do this work.

Vitaliy.