My GSoC 2012 proposal

Lucas Zawacki lfzawacki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:22:45 CDT 2012

Hello all,

First of all, I'll introduce myself: I'm Lucas Fialho Zawacki a
Computer Science undergrad at UFRGS
university in Brazil. I have worked with Wine in GSoC 2011
(http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/lfzawacki/8001)
and pretty much enjoyed the experience.

I'd like to work again with Wine for this year's GSoC and with this
email discuss some possible projects.

*Joystick Configuration Tool*

This seems like a natural project for me to work since I'm very
familiar with DirectInput and have access to some josysticks,
including force feedback. I'm not sure about what "Support system
joystick calibration" is though. Is it related to bug 24235 ?

*Scons Wine*

I think this could turn out to be very worthwhile project, but there's
little documentation about it. To make Scons aware of Winelib would it
be enough to create an environment that uses the winelib compilers,
libs and includes? Then it would be a question of programatically
generating the build script, much like winemaker does for the
makefile.

I've also been looking at Winemaker and trying to convert some visual
studio projects from random google code repositories with moderate
success. As a part of this project I could test it with numerous
samples, e.g Nehe tutorials (http://nehe.gamedev.net/), and with
assorted open source projects targeting windows, and make these just
work with Winemaker.

*Winetricks*

Other ideas fall in winetricks territory so I don't know if they
constitute a valid Wine GSoC project, but they're:

* Regression Testing GUI. Help a user download the repository, compile
wine and run assisted or automated bisections.
* Compatibility and exchange of installation recipes with other
frontends like PlayOnLinux
* Winetricks and AppDB integration. A way to mirror in AppDB the
dependencies and workarounds employed by winetricks recipes.

I wait for feedback. I'm also available at IRC if someone wants to
discuss this in more depth.