Updating GSoC proposal

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 08:45:44 CDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Nikolay Sivov <bunglehead at gmail.com>wrote:

>  On 3/20/2012 12:48, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Jacek Caban <jacek at codeweavers.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> GSoC is starting this year and, if we want to have good applications, we
>> need to update our proposals. Usually the most attention is directed
>> into adding new ones, while we keep obviously bad (or just bad IMO)
>> proposals on the page. I'm planning to remove following project proposals:
>>
>> Security - implement sandboxing
>> Theming - Implement Wine theming support
>> NTDLL - support performance registry keys
>> Winelib Aware Scons (or cmake)
>> Cleanup Winemenubuilder to support generating Application Bundles on Mac
>> OS X
>> Wine-based application virtualization
>>
>> If someone knows a reason to not remove them, please reply.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Jacek
>>

>  Why remove theming support? It would go a long way towards excellent
> desktop integration.
>
> I'm not sure how it helps with desktop integration actually, you're
> probably referring to using host system looking alike
> control theme to be used by win32 application?
>
> The problem with getting this work properly is that you need to touch
> loader most likely (so kernel32/ntdll), duplicate all user32 controls
> inside comctl32 including tests, make them register themselves when
> application really wants to. And of course fix uxtheme bugs. So it's quite
> a lot of work, and not really explored part actually.
>
> And in my opinion this accomplishes nearly nothing, except one nice thing
> - some applications want new comct32 v6 controls that are formerly
> implemented in user32, and it's not right to fix that in user32 code now,
> cause native user32 doesn't provide new buttons styles for example. It's
> not really related to theming support, it's all about use32/comctl32v6
> coexisting.

Yes, something like that. Googling for it brought this topic up:
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=91452.0
It's how GTK apps are themed under Qt environments; with GTK themes cloning
Qt themes. Oxygen does it really well, I'm sure it would be possible to
create an oxygen-for-windows theme. Of course this is quite far. I think
the whole thing should be split into smaller projects involving better
desktop integration to be honest.

Adding to that list: The ability to use native file pickers over Wine's
win32 ones; at least the GTK one (Qt would be in C++ so I don't know if AJ
would even consider it). With, of course, a configure option such as
--with-file-picker=native|gtk (native by default).
I don't know how much work this would involve, at least converting the data
back and forth between win32 and gtk; but I'm not even sure if it's
possible to use the file pickers without a GtkApplication. Just throwing it
out there...

J. Leclanche