Updating GSoC proposal

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 18:34:00 CDT 2012

--- On Tue, 20/3/12, Hin-Tak Leung <htl10 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

<snipped>
> > FWIW I was planning on improving cmd as my GSoC
> project, and
> > I've talked to Dan Kegel about it - there's been no
> protests
> > (only support) thus far on that front, so it at least
> seems
> > doable.
> >
> > In terms of being valid... if cmd were improved it
> would
> > allow firefox and chromium to be built under wine (if
> reg
> > was also improved a bit, but that might also fall under
> my
> > project...)
>
> There are one of two bugs I filed which has something to do
> with cmd (or cmd built-in's). One of them is an append-file
> issue - I think
>    copy file1+file2 file3
> does not do what it does in windows. (joining file1 and
> file2 and put into file3) - but instead, file2 is ignored,
> or something.
>
> Just thought if you are doing cmd things, you might take an
> interest. That's the sort of things which are do-able in
> less than a few months for a student.

Oh, I forgot to add that the bug shows up running ghostscript (or ghostpdl?)'s build under wine - with M$ VC++, the usual way it is built for windows. So it might be an issue which also affect other software builds, which would naturally fall within what you are planning to do.

(are firefox/chromium preferably built with MS VC++ or mingw?)