GSoC 2012 - Implement a few missing functions in D3DX9

Józef Kucia joseph.kucia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:17:26 CDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Matteo Bruni <matteo.mystral at gmail.com> wrote:
> Il 20 marzo 2012 19:12, Christian Costa <titan.costa at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>> * Implement D3DXCreateCubeTextureFrom* and
>>> D3DXCreateVolumeTextureFrom* functions.
>
> That depends on the DDS file format support, I guess.

Yes, it could be a part of my GSoC project to add missing support for
DDS file format in D3DX9. Anyway, I will know what's missing after
seeing Christian's patches.

>>> * Add support for DDS file format in D3DXGetImageInfoFrom* functions.
>> DDS support has been added in this patch:
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/d3dx9TW.git/commitdiff/f7fd4619de1cd0ea3bdf9b2fd0195c098d3b9bd0.
>> I have an updated version and planned to submit it later. FOURCC support is
>> also missing.
>>

> That's interesting. Are you (Christian) still implementing it as a WIC
> decoder? I was under the impression that some DDS features
> (cube/volume textures I guess) aren't really supportable that way.

That's right. WIC decoder for DDS is not the best idea. In case of,
D3DXGetImageInfoFromFile you need potentially to get the following
info from a file:
* type of texture: plain texture, cube texture or volume texture
* number of mipmaps
* depth of volume texture
* texture compression format.
You're unable to get this information through a WIC decoder interface.