RFC: KUSER_SHARED_DATA update patch to fix bug 29168

Joey Yandle dragon at dancingdragon.be
Wed Mar 21 23:19:50 CDT 2012

> It's been explained several times already that any approach to share data
> between wineserver and clients is going to be rejected.

Can you point me to such an explanation?  I joined wine-devel just
before posting my RFC.  If this has been discussed previously, I'd
prefer to get the context before wasting my and others' time.

So if both a thread (pthread or windows) in the wine process and sharing
memory with wineserver are verboten, then it looks like the only option
is APC.  Can you think of any others?

If not, can you look at the APC based patch I posted and let me know how
to make the callbacks happen with more precise timing?  Windows sets
these values in the kernel via a hardware interrupt, so wine needs to
set them without reasonable precision.

thanks,

Joey