Wine and Window Management

Roger Cruz roger_r_cruz at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 21:12:14 CDT 2012

Could someone tell me if Wine has a built-in Window Manager of its own or does it count on the host's window manager for such things as window hierarchy (parent-child relationships), clipping, move, resize, iconify, etc?  I want to run Wine on an environment which lacks X and I have been told conflicting information on whether I need to write my own window manager.  It has always been my impression that Wine does all the window management so it must have a Windows window manager built-in.

 I'm interested in knowing that if I remove the X11 driver from Wine, whether I will have to also provide my own window manager or whether what is in Wine is sufficient.  If there is a window manager in Wine, what type of functionality does it require from whatever I chose to replace X11 with?

Thanks
Roger R. Cruz