Wine and Window Management

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Sun Mar 25 05:38:39 CDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 07:12:14PM -0700, Roger Cruz wrote:

> Could someone tell me if Wine has a built-in Window Manager of its own or does it count on the host's window manager for such things as window hierarchy (parent-child relationships), clipping, move, resize, iconify, etc?  I want to run Wine on an environment which lacks X and I have been told conflicting information on whether I need to write my own window manager.  It has always been my impression that Wine does all the window management so it must have a Windows window manager built-in.

In Desktop Mode Wine does its own window management.

You can test it by setting desktop mode in winecfg. ;)

>  I'm interested in knowing that if I remove the X11 driver from Wine, whether I will have to also provide my own window manager or whether what is in Wine is sufficient.  If there is a window manager in Wine, what type of functionality does it require from whatever I chose to replace X11 with?

Then you will need to write your own display engine first, which will be a bit harder than the window manager part.

(Not sure how much additional work you will need to get the desktop managed mode in.)

ciao, Marcus