Need suggestion to choose a GSoC idea

Qian Hong fracting at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 09:05:26 CDT 2012

Hi Aric,

Thanks for reply.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Aric Stewart <aric at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Oh, I would love this. However speaking from experience font code is very
> hard. You would need to directly specify what you wanted to try to do and
> what needs improvement. The code there is very messy and fragile but also
> critical so it gets tricky to make any sweeping modifications.

My favorite is to implement Font Association support, since currently we have
no workaround for it without recompile source code. However, before investigate
on font issue deeply, could I ask here for other wine developers' work plan?
Just half day after I post my previous email, Huw and Kusanagi have sent their
patches regarding font support to wine-patch. we have multiple developers
working on this area, to prevent duplicate work, could you tell me is anyone
working on Font Association support?

Thanks a lot!

> I dont know if we need OCR.  With the dib engine if we have a known font we
> can probably just do bitmap compares. I am not an expert here but it sounds
> interesting.

I didn't known we can just do bitmap compares, if that's possible I
think the OCR
plan could be schedule low priority, maybe I'll investigate it in the
future. Is it a
good GSoC idea to improve font related testcase base on bitmap compares?

Thank you!

--
Regards,
Qian Hong