SoC 2012 Ideas

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Mar 29 13:12:47 CDT 2012

Am Mittwoch, 28. März 2012, 22:10:27 schrieb Charles Davis:
> 2) HLSL compiler.
My general response to "HLSL Compiler" would be "too complex for gsoc, too
much work, nope",  but since I know that you worked on compilers in the past
it might work for you. I cannot promise anything of course, but my guess is
that it is worth writing an application.

I think three things would be important:

1) A plan how to integrate the compiler step by step. I think a general
consensus is to start with a parser that can parse the entire (d3d9?)
language, but I don't know what the idea is beyond that.

2) A flexible plan that allows for adjustments depending on how the project
progresses, once a complete parser is done.

The good thing about the parser is that I've once written a hacky compiler as
a school project, and the parser is pretty much complete for d3d9 shaders.
Even if the other code is pretty ugly, the parser should be reusable.

3) A design that is flexible enough for future needs(or well, d3d10/11). I am
still afraid of getting stuck in a dead end street with anything written from
scratch, but since all other options failed I guess that's the only way left.

Maybe Henri and Matteo can weight in with their opinions as well.

Cheers,
Stefan