running 16bit code

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue May 8 15:03:43 CDT 2012

Am Dienstag, 8. Mai 2012, 13:31:00 schrieb Marcus Meissner:
> DOSBOX and DOSEMU can fall back to full emulation today, so vm86 not
> strictly required anymore these days. Speed is probably no longer an
> issue ;)
No, speed is still an issue. DOSBOX is too slow to run Settlers 2 and Screamer
2(aka Bleifuß 2) on my Core 2 Duo CPU. Dosemu works for Settlers 2(I estimate
that it is about 20 times faster), and Screamer 2 works with some 3DFX hacks
that move the graphics calculations into the GPU.

Ok, I realize that this is borderline off-topic, and both games aren't real
mode apps strictly speaking, but 32 bit protected mode DOS/4G programs. They
still need 16 bit real mode to launch though.