Wine Gecko versioning

André Hentschel nerv at dawncrow.de
Tue Nov 27 07:53:59 CST 2012

Am 27.11.2012 13:32, schrieb Jacek Caban:
> The idea is that Wine Gecko version could be just something based on
> other versions, that are more informative. It's not really possible to
> use Wine version, because the first version of Wine that will use new
> Gecko is not ultimately when Wine Gecko branches. Also multiple Wine
> versions use the same Wine Gecko. That leaves us with Gecko (Firefox
> version). We don't release on every Firefox release (every 6 weeks), so
> if we just used Firefox version, that would look strange (like Wine
> Gecko 18 followed by Wine Gecko 20). That can be mitigated by using it
> as a minor version. So the next few release would look like:
> - 1.9 (that's already in beta and will be the last release using old scheme)
> - 2.20 (assuming the next update will be 3 months from 1.9, which means
> Firefox 20)
> - 2.22 (assuming another 3 moths for the update).

I like the idea, but why move to 2.x? 1.20, 1.22 and so on would perfectly fit.
And if the gap between 1.9 and 1.20 is confusing someone, then he really has issues.
I'm  also fine with 2.x, i just think a new version scheme shouldn't necessarily lead to a version increment.

--

Best Regards, André Hentschel