windowscodecs questions.

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:18:14 CDT 2012

>  I found some code that reads a generic chunk.  I see where the size
>  and type are read, where a correctly sized record is allocated and
>  where the data is read into the record.

That code is unused for reading and writing PNG images right now,
sorry for the confusion. Libpng has its own code for reading and
writing PNG chunks, and that is what is being used. Our chunk code is
used for PNG metadata handlers (which will have to work independently
from libpng so we can have a proper, pluggable system for metadata),
but the architecture isn't there yet to use those handlers when
reading a PNG image.

>  I added code to read and check the CRC to my working copy of the git
>  tree.  That threw off the block synchronization, so I think there is
>  code someplace else that either checks or skips the CRC, but I have
>  not found it after a few hours searching for it.  An indication on
>  where to look and other advice would be very helpful at this time.

None of that code should be used yet in a file with more than one
block, so I don't know how this could be causing problems. My plan was
that it would be up to the caller to seek to the next block based on
the returned data size.

> Second: At least two of the methods GuildWars2 wants to use are stubbed.
>  To implement those methods, the frame section of the WIC object should
>  contain an array (or something with similar properties) of pointers to
>  chunks.  From what I have read about WIC, other formats could use a
>  similar array.  Some could even use an array of pointers to frames.
>  Before I go messing with that level of change, I think I should listen
>  to other peoples opinions of the subject.

Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is probably not using WIC
directly. You should find out which library it's actually using
(probably d3dx9, but could also be gdiplus or oleaut32's IPicture
interface) and take that into account. We can modify users of WIC to
use it in efficient ways, and/or optimize WIC for the way we are using
it. (MSDN recommends reading the entire image once either in one
CopyPixels call or in rows from top to bottom, and optimizing for that
case. We don't do that yet because we needed the general case first.)

> Third: On a very broad level, the whole OLE implementation seems to be
>  very messed up.  In particular, the usual practice for doing
>  inheritance in C does not seem to be being used.  That practice is to
>  have the elements common to the base and extending object be placed at
>  the beginning of the implementing data structures.  While the member
>  names need not be the same in all instances, the function, type and
>  order of the common elements must be the same for economical
>  implementation.

I don't think a base class would've make anything easier.

>  Is there any reason, other than inertia, that at least these two
>  fields should not be moved to the beginning of implementing objects.
>  This can be done one object at a time and would allow the changed
>  objects to use a common implementation of 'AddRef' at least, and
>  another common routine or macro that handles the critical part of
>  'Release'.

We still couldn't do that because every interface vtable pointer would
be at a different offset within the struct. We couldn't share them
between encoders because different encoders have different data that
they need to free. Anyway, it's not likely to have a measurable impact
on performance.

Could you share some results of your profiling? What is it that led
you to believe the PNG code is a bottleneck?