exploring/possibly porting winelib app to support 64bit.

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:56:19 CDT 2013

Hi Daniel

> This is a little off-topic from the original thread, but I think 64-bit Wine works pretty well.  Our ArcGIS Server > on Linux is exclusively 64-bit and is in use by some large organizations.

..and those 'large organizations' are not the only one's out there
using Wine64. ;)

I think people generally still think of Wine's 'current status' as
being that of 2008-2010. But i think Wine has improved quite a bit
since that time. I know that for my machines, i am using a win64/wow64
prefix ~ even if i do tend to be using 32bit applications, because of
the limitations of apps that i rely on, only having access to
jack-audio-connection-kit via WineASIO (32bit only, no 64bit port,
yet) and FSThost - also 32bit...

But, I still do in fact, use a wine 64bit prefix. i have/do run
windows 64bit apps on my machines, they seem to run okay. i have even
produced sound out of them. ~ but since i do not have an ALSA
soundcard and use FFADO (firewire audio interface). In order to test
ALSA in Wine, I had to use a 'alsa to jack' wrapper/bridge -> more
specifically zita-a2j. the sound was bit choppy (as expected in this
case) and only really useful to test to see if the 64bit apps would
produce sound, accept midi input, etc and not crash.... But obviously,
the whole point here, is to port FSThost to 64bit, so that we can use
windows 64bit VSTs, natively with Jack/linux.

NOTE: I forgot to explain what 'SAVIhost' is, in my post to you
Vincent... SAVIhost is a windows application for hosting VSTs (.dlls)
as standalone apps. The 64bit version of SAVIhost does load the 64bit
VSTs in Wine64. (but again, not of much use beyond that, since our
ASIO driver, WineASIO doesn't have a 64bit port).

SAVIhost: http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

(64bit versions, halfway-to-bottom ofthe page, you also need Microsoft
Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) also found on page),

So clearly, the windows app can load the 64bit VSTs / dll just fine
(in Wine64), while in FSThost (so far) we are failing... So, I guess
my original question still stands;

Can anyone offer any help / advice on how to determine / confirm that
address returned by GetProcAddress is correct in our test64.exe??

I've also heard from my friend, he doesn't think it has anything to do
with our vestige headers, which was the other possibility / conclusion
we came to as a potential issue.

thanks for everyone's input so far.

Jordan