Fun with GCC 4.8

James Eder jimportal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 15:37:27 CDT 2013

As many of you no doubt know,  GCC recently released 4.8.0.  This new
version introduces a new optimization level enabled by -Og with the
following description (from the man page):

"Optimize debugging experience. -Og enables optimizations that do not
interfere with debugging. It should be the optimization level of choice for
the standard edit-compile-debug cycle, offering a reasonable level of
optimization while maintaining fast compilation and a good debugging
experience."

Of course I had to try it out.  I found that building Wine lead to GCC
dieing with

  ... dlls/kernel32/console.c:1691:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation
fault

I also found

  ... dlls/kernel32/computername.c:701:1: internal compiler error:
Segmentation fault

I eventually stumbled my way into the enclosed patch which lets GCC build
Wine with -Og.

I'm not sure if this change (or something similar) makes sense for Wine.
I'm fairly certain some changes make sense for GCC (I suspect that GCC
should not segfault).

I haven't submitted a bug for GCC because I suspect they'll want me to
provide something simpler to compile than the Wine source tree.  I
certainly won't be upset if someone beats me too it.  I'm not sure how much
time in the near future I'll spend on it.  "Eventually" is probably the
word that fits.

At any rate, I wanted to at least share my experiences in case anyone is
interested in heading down the same path.

--
Jim