Fun with GCC 4.8

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Mon Apr 15 16:58:46 CDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 02:37:27PM -0600, James Eder wrote:
> As many of you no doubt know,  GCC recently released 4.8.0.  This new
> version introduces a new optimization level enabled by -Og with the
> following description (from the man page):
>
> "Optimize debugging experience. -Og enables optimizations that do not
> interfere with debugging. It should be the optimization level of choice for
> the standard edit-compile-debug cycle, offering a reasonable level of
> optimization while maintaining fast compilation and a good debugging
> experience."
>
> Of course I had to try it out.  I found that building Wine lead to GCC
> dieing with
>
>   ... dlls/kernel32/console.c:1691:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation
> fault
>
> I also found
>
>   ... dlls/kernel32/computername.c:701:1: internal compiler error:
> Segmentation fault
>
> I eventually stumbled my way into the enclosed patch which lets GCC build
> Wine with -Og.
>
> I'm not sure if this change (or something similar) makes sense for Wine.
> I'm fairly certain some changes make sense for GCC (I suspect that GCC
> should not segfault).
>
> I haven't submitted a bug for GCC because I suspect they'll want me to
> provide something simpler to compile than the Wine source tree.  I
> certainly won't be upset if someone beats me too it.  I'm not sure how much
> time in the near future I'll spend on it.  "Eventually" is probably the
> word that fits.
>
> At any rate, I wanted to at least share my experiences in case anyone is
> interested in heading down the same path.

You copy and paste the failing commandline and add --save-temps, like e.g.:

	gcc -c -I/home/marcus/projects/wine/dlls/kernel32 -I. -I/home/marcus/projects/wine/include -I../../include  -D__WINESRC__ -D_KERNEL32_ -D_NORMALIZE_ -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers -Wstrict-prototypes -Wtype-limits -Wunused-but-set-parameter -Wwrite-strings -gdwarf-2 -gstrict-dwarf -Wpointer-arith -Wlogical-op -I/usr/include/freetype2    -Wall  -g -fstack-protector  -o console.o /home/marcus/projects/wine/dlls/kernel32/console.c -Og --save-temps

it will generate a console.i file in the currenct directory.

The console.i file and above commandline are a start for the gcc bug.

Ciao, Marcus