winex11.drv: Transmit WM_DEADCHAR messages to applications

Simon Lipp sloonz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 06:04:29 CDT 2013

> > > Wine should never generate WM_DEADCHAR message, it relies in the
> > > driver to handle dead keys and generate final events.
> >
> > I’m sorry but I fail to see any incompatibility between the two
> > alternatives. Wine can generate WM_DEADCHAR messages AND let X/input
> > method handle the real processing (and the generation of the final
> > event) ; this patch never skip the XFilterEvent call, so it’s still
> > up to your favorite IM to generate the final char from the
> > keystrokes sequence.
>
> You never know which events are supposed to be part of dead code
> sequencies, so trying to interpret them or inject some events may
> lead to unpredictable results.

This patch does not let pass every single dead sequence without check.
It only let pass events which are really dead keys, that is, for
keysyms that are dead keys for XKB (before any interpretation by the
IM) ; for example if you type "ha" with anthy neither "h" nor "a"
events will pass, only the final one for は.Same with Xcompose:
Compose+ss will not generate any message outside the final WM_CHAR ß
(because s is not a dead key for XKB, even if it is for XIM in
combinaison with Multi_key). The only change is for things like ^+e = ê
(which will add a WM_DEADCHAR for dead_circumflex), where an additional
WM_DEADCHAR will be sent.

It’s very unlikely that applications will get troubled by this
additional message since they already receive it when running on
Windows.

> > > X11 even has an ability to support user defined key sequences
> > > which are handled by XFilterEvent and which will be broken by
> > > your patch.
> >
> > Are you speaking about XCompose or things like ibus ? Both still
> > looks like OK with this patch (tested with wine’s notepad,
> > ibus-anthy and XCompose keys from http://bepo.fr/).
>
> Something like that, usually ~/.Xkbmap makes it easy to play with.

Well, I use XCompose on a daily basis with wine + this patch without
any issue. Can’t tell for other IMs (XCompose works only with XIM so I
stick to it), but basic tests with ibus+anthy shows no issue as well.