Wine History

André Hentschel nerv at dawncrow.de
Sat Apr 20 19:50:32 CDT 2013

Hi,
meanwhile everyone should know that Wine turns 20 this year. AJ said in this years Keynote we'll need to find a way to celebrate this in June.
So i did some research on this and found "Wine History" mails by Dan Kegel from 2002 and much earlier Bob Amstadt talking about late May or early June 1993.
The date listed on Wikipedia is July the 4th, but i was still curious about that late May.
I think i finally found this late May (30th) discussion and want to share it:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.linux/7TFhxP6IUVQ/gVHAeP_ZBVUJ

It's of course hard to tell when a project was really born, but as far as i understand, this discussion inspired Bob to write an initial loader.
I was just 5 at this time, so maybe someone can tell some more about it? :)

Some more Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2002-November/010567.html
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2002-November/010603.html
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.linux/RKpNL1M8vSE/Z-rgUyrSFlYJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.linux/mb1BwP7LckY/IV44zjGkO98J
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2757
and of course http://wiki.winehq.org/WineHistory

Ok, i somehow lost the mentioning of "late may", but it's already quite late here, sry.