Application for GSoC 2013 - improve Richedit

André Hentschel nerv at dawncrow.de
Mon Apr 22 14:17:00 CDT 2013

Am 22.04.2013 12:51, schrieb Jactry Zeng:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am Jactry Zeng, a sophomore majoring in Electronic Science from China.
> My nickname in #winehackers is Jactry.
>
> I would like to apply for this year's GSoC to work for wine. I have reported some bugs[1] of wine
> and submitted a few easy patches[2] for wine. And I feel quite good to study in wine community.
>
> I am so interested in Richedit module[3]. Because a lot of software I tested was blocked by bugs of
> Richedit, such as wordpad, GTalk, QQ, Weibo Desktop and AliWangwang etc. I would like to work for
> this module during GSoC. I've reported a few bugs regarding Richedit[4]. And for bug 33191[5], I
> have written a simple testcase to reproduce this bug.
>
> And I found ITextDocument is just a stub now, I want to implement some function of it, such as
> ITextDocument::New, ITextDocument::Open, ITextDocument::Save, ITextDocument::Range, ITextDocument
> ::GetName and ITextDocument::GetDefaultTabStop etc.
> These functions are documented in MSDN[6], what's better, thanks to kind people on codeproject[7],
> there are some sample applications for study, which will give me a lot of help on re-implementing
> ITextDocument.

Hi Jactry,
thanks for the interest in Wine.
I'm not that much familiar with Richedit, but as i understand you have your own idea and it's not related to
"Richedit - implement Windowless mode" from the ideas page. That's fine, i'm just curious.
Your idea sounds good and shows that you made your homework. In case it's mostly implementing ITextDocument
you should consider naming it something like "Implement/Improve ITextDocument in Richedit".
Today the Student application period opens, so be free to send in your proposal.