questions to your commit "wineps.drv: Allow for vertical text printing!"

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Mon Aug 26 09:41:28 CDT 2013

Hello Wolfgang,

Thanks for the review.

On 8/24/13 2:16 PM, Wolfgang Walter wrote:
> Hello Aric,
>
> I read commit 745e7c93c9042f62460f181daaa1f05645560b41 (wineps.drv: Allow for
> vertical text printing.) and I have some questions:
>

> 1) You added the parameter vertical to PSDRV_WriteSetFont() in ps.c but it
> remains unused. I think it isn't needed.
>

> 2) In PSDRV_WriteSetDownloadFont() in download.c you call PSDRV_WriteSetFont()
> with
>
> 	(lf.lfFaceName[0] == '@')
>
> for this new parameter vertical. I can't see why.

You are correct here.  These are artifacts of the original way I was trying to solve this problem which I failed to revert when I change to creating the vertical runs and doing all the work in download.c.

I will generate a patch to remove these.

> 3) You added the parameter vertical to get_download_name() in download.c
>
> You use it to add "_vertical" to its name if vertical is true. I can't see why
> the font needs a different name.
>
> This will cause PSDRV_WriteSetDownloadFont() to download a font which is used
> vertically and horizontally twice. I can't see any reason why this could be
> necessary.

This unfortunately is necessary because the escapement is different between the normal and vertical variations of the font. The only way I found for a font to be able to be both horizontal and vertical in a document is to download the font twice, once with each escapement.

-aric