A new demangler test?

Max TenEyck Woodbury max at mtew.isa-geek.net
Sun Feb 24 00:07:55 CST 2013

On 02/23/2013 02:54 AM, Eric Pouech wrote:
> Le 21/02/2013 14:33, Max TenEyck Woodbury a écrit :
>> Would it be appropriate to add a test to the name demangler that:
>>
>> 1) Scans all '.dll' and '.spec' files for mangled names, and
>>
>> 2) Tries to decode those names.
>>
>> 3) Prints the mangled and decoded names and where they occur.
>>
>> Success would be that all names decode without the decoder blowing up
>> or failing.
>>

> adding tests for demangler is good
> but you just need to have a set of mangled/unmangled strings for the test
> as core demangler in msvcrt, test should be added here...
> (but grabbing the mangled strings shall be left out of the test itself)
> A+

One of the important aspects of name demangling is that it should work
on _all_ the names in the current system.  The current test does
demangle a list of known strings, but that list was incomplete with
respect to all the features used in real names the last time I dug into
the details (which was none too recently).

Scanning for all the real mangled names not only makes sure that the
demangler is working properly, it also assures that all the names used
are properly formed and decode to their intended values.