netstat: Initial implementation (try 2)

Julian Rüger jr98 at gmx.net
Fri Jan 4 01:49:14 CST 2013

Am Freitag, den 04.01.2013, 00:58 +0100 schrieb Frédéric Delanoy:
> It seems to be a specificity in the German version: it's not translated
> in the French version (tested on different windows versions).
> And apparently neither in other languages, if one can
> trust the various http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netstat page
> translations, and the various "localized" screenshots of netstat using
> your favorite web search engine.
>
> Also, IMHO,  it makes little to no sense to translate stuff like
> "CLOSE_WAIT" or "FIN_WAIT1" with are part of a standard
> specification... so 'hardcoding" them would not cause much harm, if at all.
>
> Frédéric

FWIW, I also think translating these strings can only make
clarity/comprehensibility worse. Even in the (highly unlikely, IMHO)
case that the user does not speak English at all, the states would match
those found in technical literature. At least, I have never seen them
translated in German literature.

I already sent a patch with translations, although I'm not particularly
happy with them. It seems impossible to come up with something that does
not change the meaning or sound completely awkward. German Windows 7's
netstat only confirms that.

Best regards,
Julian