Reload a DLL and _getptd returns zero

Nikolay Sivov bunglehead at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 15:57:15 CST 2013

On 1/14/2013 01:59, Michael Ost wrote:
> On 1/13/13 1:17 PM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:24:55AM -0800, Michael Ost wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why _getptd() calls would return zero on a DLL that
>>> has been reloaded? Does something happen to the TLS used by _getptd?
>>>
>>> At Muse Research we have been struggling with a deep bug for years
>>> where there is a crash _sometimes_ if you load a DLL a second time.
>>>
>>> Finally (with a big tip of the hat to Julien Pommier at PianoTeq!)
>>> we have a test case that demonstrates a (if not _the_) crash.
>>>
>>> The sequence is:
>>> 1. [main] start a thread
>>> 2. [main] load a library
>>> 3. [thread] call std::cout<< from the library
>>> 4. [main] free the library
>>> 5. [main] reload the library
>>> 6. [thread] call std::cout<< from the library
>>> -> crash!
>>>
>>> It looks like the crash happens because the MSVCRT function
>>> _getptd() is returning zero in step 6. This is dereferenced and
>>> crashes. In windows, there is no crash.
>>>
>>> The library in question is using static vc runtime linkage, so
>>> _getptd() is linked in and I don't know exactly what it is doing.
>>> But Wine's MSVCRT implementation of _getptd() gets its data from
>>> TlsGetValue. And I can see that just before the crash there is a
>>> TlsGetValue call that returns zero.
>>>
>>> Looking at TlsGetValue(), there must be something wrong with the
>>> values in TlsSlots. Maybe they persist for DLLs in Windows in a way
>>> they don't for Wine...? Or maybe Wine doesn't reinitialize them the
>>> same way when the DLL is reloaded?
>>>
>>> Any hints, thoughts? clues? Thanks!
>>

>> Is this statically linked msvcrt from Wine or Windows?
>
> It's statically linked in Windows.
>
>> And why free/reload a statically linked library?
>
> We load and unload the DLL that has MSCVRT statically linked into it.
> Our program is a "plugin player", that loads (and unloads) VST sound
> plugins for musicians to perform with.
Not sure if it's related but wine's msvcrt doesn't like to be unloaded,
so LdrAddRefDll() is used to prevent that. If I remember correctly there
was a problem with messed up standard handles or something like that.