RFC: Remove auto-scan of ALSA devices from winealsa.drv (and get repeatable behaviour)

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Tue Jan 22 09:02:26 CST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:15:59AM +0100, Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
> Andrew Eikum was in favour of this too and since implemented winmm
> device notification upon change.  Remember the December thread:
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2012-December/098114.html

Yeah, I still think it's a good idea. Assuming we remove enumeration
and add a good UI to manually add devices, there were two unanswered
objections raised in the last thread.

1) We still want to do this, but want a better way to do this (i.e.
work with upstream to make a good enumeration API)

This still requires us to gut our existing enumeration, so I guess you
can think of it in two pieces: remove the existing enumeration, and
add "good" enumeration should that ever exist. So let's do step one
now and maybe step two if it becomes possible.

2) Each new prefix will require manual configuration

This is true now, but it would be a larger pain if the user has to add
a device in addition to selecting it. Is there some existing mechanism
for users to customize prefixes when they're created? Should there be?

Anyway, I'll put this on my TODO list and let you know when I've got
something working.

Andrew