RFC: Remove auto-scan of ALSA devices from winealsa.drv (and get repeatable behaviour)

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Tue Jan 22 10:09:42 CST 2013

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>At least on my setup, the current code is working just fine, and offering
>the devices I expect, without any manual configuration.
Are you using PulseAudio?
I believe that *every* user with PulseAudio is bound to see the flakiness
that happened on Francois' machine.  So from these users' (Ubuntu, Fedora?)
POV, the current code is not the _least_ working fine.

I do agree that a clickable list of ALSA devices is nicer to handle than
"Please enter the names of your ALSA device(s) into this textfield if it is not simply "default".

OTOH, "default" should be enough for the large majority of users, and
there should be no need in many, many use cases to go and seek another
device name like:
- surround51 - 5:1 users will need to add something like that, sorry
- some_jack_device - Jack users will know their ALSA device names
  because they need to configure other Jack-ALSA using applications anyway.
- any other use case???

>Each new prefix will require manual configuration
No. "default" should work OOTB on any sane Linux desktop setup.
It's only "advanced" usage beyond "default" that requires manual intervention.
(well, using 5:1 should not count as advanced, but my understanding of typical
 desktop setups with 5:1 cards is that ALSA's "default" only yields 2 channels?)

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle