macdrv: implement getting and setting the screen saver state. if(Style)

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Tue Jan 22 14:30:57 CST 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 6:38 AM, <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> wrote:

> Ken Thomases wrote:
>>> +                    if(success != kIOReturnSuccess)
>> Another style nitpick: please put a space between "if" and the condition.
>> That applies to the "if(count2)" above, too.
>
> I find this over the top.

Well, I phrased it as a style nitpick (a.k.a. a matter of taste and a minor issue).  I also said "please".  I don't think it was too over the top.

> Where is the rule?

> … The only rule I see is: "Look at the code surrounding the patch" and
> its corollary: "if you create a new module, you're the first and define
> the style others will have to follow."

Well, there's also the corollary "be self-consistent within a single patch" which applied in this case.  Those guidelines (I wouldn't call them "rules") seem sane and fairly self-evident.  In any case, they are already documented here:
http://wiki.winehq.org/SubmittingPatches#head-22ead28485239d5028d63061c7d38f0fa88230d8

I have no power to enforce anything.  Alexandre may or may not consider my patch reviews, or those of anybody else, while deciding how to treat the patches in his incoming queue.  The reviews are simply a joint effort of all Wine developers to help keep quality up and take some of the burden off of Alexandre.

If the code submitter chooses to ignore my suggestions, they can.  I probably won't keep harping on the same minor style issue for future versions.

-Ken