[wine-devel] Re: Bug 24018 which appears to be a showstopper for running Cygwin on Wine

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 1 00:13:32 CDT 2013

--- On Sun, 30/6/13, André Hentschel <nerv at dawncrow.de> wrote:

> On 29.06.2013 23:34, Hin-Tak Leung
> wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 29/6/13, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca>

> windows
> >> software
> >> which has no unix/linux equivalents, is hardly a
> priority.
> >>
> >> That is obviously personally true for you.
> And for my
> >> personal needs
> >> Cygwin on Wine is a "would be nice" software build
> and test
> >> platform.
> >
> > No. Just the fact that nobody else bothered to respond
> to this thread should convince you that getting cygwin is
> not a priority to most people who is knowledgeable and
> capable of hacking wine.
> >

> I've been following this thread. What i would like to point
> you all to is:
> http://wiki.winehq.org/CygwinSupport
> It describes why running cygwin on wine is not that
> senseless low priority thing.
> Further it's mentioned at:
> http://wiki.winehq.org/TodoList and
> http://wiki.winehq.org/UnitTestSuites

Wiki is what it is - anybody with a wish can add an entry. If somebody put their name down and say: "*I* will do this!" - and have the knowledge & incentive to deliver, that's when it gets interesting. Until then, it is not. (Those entries might just have been added by the original poster of this thread - doesn't prove anything).

Using words like "showstopper" is off-putting. Especially considering there are at least two well-known(?) ways of getting around a mere installation problem of a piece of [any] open-source software - (1) unpack manually. It is open-source and all the actions of the installer are known; (2) copy from an existing installation & clone the relevant registry entries.

and (3) being able to install is not a warranty it will run.

In terms of "relative" importance, consider that mingw (both native and cross) GNU toolchain works well, the toolchain part of cygwin is hardly a priority; further,  between mingw and MSVC (note the distinction - I mean mingw, not cygwin), I would rather spend time improving wine's support for MSVC .

That is an interesting observation - getting microsoft products to work well is obviously a priority to the wider community & to Crossover, but that isn't mentioned much in those wiki pages.