[wine-devel] Re: Bug 24018 which appears to be a showstopper for running Cygwin on Wine

Peter Rosin peda at lysator.liu.se
Mon Jul 1 11:13:26 CDT 2013

On 2013-06-29 18:33, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> Those have been mentioned before here, and I have looked at them.
> Cygwin is a very large collection of software so the number of bugs
> that are reported does not seem excessive to me, and for my personal
> needs (building and testing software on the Cygwin platform) I will
> only be using a subset of Cygwin so I may avoid encountering
> some of these bugs. Furthermore, some of these bugs (e.g.,
> problems resizing a GUI) are not showstoppers, and most of them are
> quite old. At the same time the latest Wine is far superior to
> Wine-1.4 so some of those bugs may have just disappeared.  I hope to
> find out about the actual status of Cygwin on Wine
> bugs once I can get setup.exe to work on Wine.

I would like to point out that it seems that the current bug does not
appear to be *in* setup.exe, but rather occurs when setup.exe runs
a bash post-install script, where the bash.exe that interprets the
script depends on cygwin1.dll. If my analysis is correct, the bug
would occur also when duplicating the actions of setup.exe manually.
You would have to also duplicate the actions of all post-install
scripts, which is certainly more work and more error-prone than
duplicating the download and unpacking of a few tarballs.

Cheers,
Peter