[wine-devel] Re: Bug 24018 which appears to be a showstopper for running Cygwin on Wine

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Jul 1 11:48:56 CDT 2013

On 2013-07-01 18:13+0200 Peter Rosin wrote:

> On 2013-06-29 18:33, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> Those have been mentioned before here, and I have looked at them.
>> Cygwin is a very large collection of software so the number of bugs
>> that are reported does not seem excessive to me, and for my personal
>> needs (building and testing software on the Cygwin platform) I will
>> only be using a subset of Cygwin so I may avoid encountering
>> some of these bugs. Furthermore, some of these bugs (e.g.,
>> problems resizing a GUI) are not showstoppers, and most of them are
>> quite old. At the same time the latest Wine is far superior to
>> Wine-1.4 so some of those bugs may have just disappeared.  I hope to
>> find out about the actual status of Cygwin on Wine
>> bugs once I can get setup.exe to work on Wine.
>
> I would like to point out that it seems that the current bug does not
> appear to be *in* setup.exe, but rather occurs when setup.exe runs
> a bash post-install script, where the bash.exe that interprets the
> script depends on cygwin1.dll. If my analysis is correct, the bug
> would occur also when duplicating the actions of setup.exe manually.
> You would have to also duplicate the actions of all post-install
> scripts, which is certainly more work and more error-prone than
> duplicating the download and unpacking of a few tarballs.

Hi Peter:

That analysis is absolutely correct, and the current hang I am getting
for that post-install script
(/etc/postinstall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh) is a puzzler since that
occurs with or without the fork-fixed cygwin1.dll and the hang is new
behaviour compared to the result I got a month ago (obviously without
the fork-fixed cygwin1.dll) where I got an abort with an explicit
error message in agreement with the 24018 bug report. So I hope others
here with some cygwin experience will investigate further since I
might be doing something inadvertently different than before when I
replicated the behaviour reported in the 24018 bug report exactly.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin