mscms: Use lcms2, when available [try 2]

Detlef Riekenberg wine.dev at web.de
Mon Jun 3 17:48:41 CDT 2013

Hans wrote on Monday, 3. June 2013 at 10:30

> On Sun, 2013-06-02 at 22:49 +0200, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
> > try2:
> > import the unchanged icc34.h from the lcms (v1) dev. package.
> > (Do we need to add a Wine LGPL licence header for icc34.h?)
> >
> > The plan is to remove this include, when changing Wine
> > to use the new getter/setter functions of lcms2
> > (After the release of Wine-1.6)
>
> My plan was to switch to lcms2 soon *after* the release of Wine 1.6.

My plan was to find a way to increase the user experience and provide
lcms2 support out of the box for the stable Wine release.

Alexandre, do you see a chance for lcms2 support for Wine-1.6 (out of the box)?

> I studied the API some more and my conclusion is that while it doesn't have all
> we need (specifically cmsReadRawTag and cmsWriteRawTag don't do what we want),

rc1 for lcms2 v2.5 was just released:
http://www.littlecms.com/lcms2-2.5rc1.tar.gz
What does Wine need from lcms / for cmsReadRawTag and cmsWriteRawTag?
I added lcms-user at lists.sourceforge.net for this mail.

> we can avoid importing the icc34.h header.

Hans, you found a way to change Wine to use getter/setter functions
while still linking to lcms v1 and than switch to lcms2?
Great!
Please confirm, that you think, that this is a working transition variant.
(I must admit, that I didn't studied the lcms2 API deep enough).

> I'm not in favor of adding temporary workarounds. If distributions want to
> drop support for lcms1 in 1.6 I'd suggest that they backport the patches.

Adding icc34.h is a variant for a transition to lcms2 without much effort,
while knowing, that this work, but doesn't look beautiful.

Fletching out our mscms header (similar to a stripped down icc34.h),
to allow our current code to compile without icc34.h and link
to lcms2 is another possible transition variant.

Should we spend that time/effort, when we expect, that the added code is
no longer needed after updating Wine to use the lcms2 getter/setter functions?

--
By by ... Detlef