Fwd: [GSoC Mentors Announce] GSoC 2013: Mentor Summit Travel and Details
austinenglish at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 13:52:48 CDT 2013
FYI for GSoC mentors. It's a ways away, but have the date in mind if
you'd like to attend. Remember we have two slots, so if there are more
than 2 people, we'll give preference to people that haven't gone
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carol Smith <carols at google.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Subject: [GSoC Mentors Announce] GSoC 2013: Mentor Summit Travel and Details
To: gsoc-mentors-announce <gsoc-mentors-announce at googlegroups.com>
The Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit is approaching!
When: 19-20 October, 2013
Where: Google Headquarters, Mountain View, California
Some brief background: The Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit is a
two-day "unconference"  that brings together two mentors (or org
admins) from each of the mentoring organizations that has participated
in GSoC that year. Google pays for a two-night hotel stay,
transportation costs, conference facilities, and food for the weekend,
and the attendees make the agenda. We've consistently heard from
mentors over the years that the summit was one of the best conferences
of the year for them. The opportunity to meet face-to-face with other
FOSS community members is a valuable experience, as is the time spent
discussing ideas in a casual forum where everyone's voice can be
heard. I'd encourage your organization to send delegates to the summit
even if you don't quite understand of the utility of it now - I feel
confident you won't be disappointed with the results.
Attendees stay at the Wild Palms hotel  while they're in town and
we serve a traditional dinner of thai food on Friday night and have a
pool party on Saturday night.
Here's how to proceed with booking and attending:
1) Your organization will need to decide on two delegates  to send
to the event. Any people who want to attend above and beyond the two
from your org will need to list themselves on the Waiting List  and
wait for word from me about extra space as we get closer to the event.
NB: The wiki requires a login when visiting for the first time. The
username is "mentor" and the password is "yourock." I highly recommend
creating your own account with a unique password once you have logged
in for the first time.
2) Once your organization has decided on the two delegates it would
like to send to this year's event, those individuals can feel free to
book their hotel rooms at the Wild Palms  now. Please note that if
the Wild Palms fills up you will need to make your reservation with
the Domain Hotel instead . If you really want to stay at the Wild
Palms, make sure to book early! We'll have shuttles running between
the hotels and to campus for the whole weekend. NB: The hotel
registration deadline is 6 September. If you really want to stay at
the Wild Palms, I'd recommend you book early. :-)
3) Please fill out the Mentor Summit Preparation form  as soon as
you have confirmed your hotel room.
4) We include the reimbursement for travel to the mentor summit and
the mentor stipends in one PO to your organization. Please see the
payment info page  for more detail on this. These POs will be
issued to your org soon after it has made the payment request.
5) Flights should be purchased once you have a confirmed PO. All orgs
pay for plane tickets ahead of time and then request reimbursement via
invoice against the PO once you have receipts for the flights.
6) Please check out the wiki  and fill in your name if you're
attending. Look around the rest of the site - it has lots of useful
information for you about the event and what to expect.
7) In the unlikely event that your organization does not plan to
attend the mentor summit at all, please fill out this form  to let
me know. Please only fill this out if you are not sending *any*
delegates to the summit.
8) We are doing session scheduling for this year's summit via Google
Moderator. Please fill in your ideas for sessions on the webpage 
by 27 September and vote for your favorite ideas! You can read more
about how we're running session scheduling this year on the wiki .
9) Please remember that any organization that misses two or more
evaluation deadlines may not attend the summit. If you book travel and
then get uninvited from the summit after the either the midterm or the
final evaluations you will not be reimbursed for travel costs and your
hotel stays will be cancelled. So don't miss those evaluations or you
jeopardize missing the event!
 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference
 - http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/siliconvalley/wild_palms
 - A "delegate" is defined as either a mentor or org admin who
participated in this year's GSoC program. We're sorry, but we can't
accomodate other people from your organization who did not mentor or
administer this year. Also, we will not accept any mentors who miss an
evaluation deadline in this year's program. Please contact me if you
have questions about if a person from your organization is on this
 - https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/forms/d/1bfuIJ_U76rznjfqBYdRKfFlfmvhqrmtpR_SUgTHwif0/viewform
 - https://www.jdvhotels.com/book/reservations/wld?start_date=2013-10-14&end_date=2013-10-24&promo_type=group-code&promo_code=1310mentorwp
 - https://www.jdvhotels.com/book/reservations/dom?start_date=2013-10-18&end_date=2013-10-20&promo_type=group-code&promo_code=1310mentordm
 - http://goo.gl/oyM2y
 - http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/paymentguidelines
 - https://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/2013
 - http://goo.gl/OTxuo
 - http://goo.gl/EH0ZH
 - https://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/Proposed_Session_Topics_2013
As always, please contact me directly with any questions or concerns
you may have about any of these instructions.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Google Summer of Code Mentors Announce List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to gsoc-mentors-announce+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gsoc-mentors-announce.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
More information about the wine-devel